NORTHERN DRAGONS GUILD FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NORTHERN DRAGONS GUILD FORUM

Forum for the Northern Dragons Guild - related website is http://northerndragons.free-web-hosting.biz

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

VENT / VOICE CHAT

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jodrath

Jodrath

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: VENT / VOICE CHAT   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 8:40 am

Hmm, I've had a few people ask me about VENT or a "voice chat" system for the guild, such as Skype or something for use. Up to this point we haven't really needed, but now we are heading to end game raiding...

Frankly the excess of crap in guild chat makes makes me worried about what will happen in a voice chat, that and in the few raids where voice chats was used after blizzard intoduced the option .. ill admot it wasn't pretty, especially with the crap that some of those with the "oh my voice is breaking" age went in with.

I am willing to look at getting Vent set up for the guild, I have no problems with that, for use in guild raids, or general "useful" guild discussions but having seen some of the things that go on I won't consider it further until I know that (a) Other people want it on (b) we arn't going to be assulted by psycho-babble 24/7 while playing.

Please let me know your thoughts on VENT or a similar programme for guild use so council can discuss and decide if we install or not.
Back to top Go down
Antathaloth

Antathaloth

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: VENT / VOICE CHAT   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptySat Mar 15, 2008 5:47 am

id like to have vent set up, ive been in a number of guilds with it, and it was more helpful then the inconvienence you discribed. thing we had though was if you talk about nonsense in vent it was just like any other offense in the guild, you got demoted or somthing of the like. allso in raids no more then one person was allowed to talk at the same time, there is no way that i know of to filter it so that only one person was heard but it was a simple rule: you didnt talk if someone else was. the raid leader had highest prority, after which was the main tank and healer, then the runner up tanks and healers, and finnaly the dps'ers. this way we kept it orginised. i would like to see us with vent and hope poeple contribute to it.
Back to top Go down
wookdoggy

wookdoggy

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: VENT / VOICE CHAT   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptyWed Apr 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Twisted Evil I believe having a live chat function would be beneficial on raids or in
group situations but i fear that my ears would be assulted but much of the drivel that goes on in the chat. My other concern would include the fact that my 2 young daughters would also have to listen to the drivel and obscenities that may occur. so yes I am for the voice thing. but under circumstance. plus not everybody has access to these things.
Back to top Go down
niceclaws

niceclaws

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: VENT / VOICE CHAT   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 am

I reckon don't worry about a vent channel until we neeed it for groups or raids.

How many people have mics anyway? .... I do

But do you really want my strong Kiwi accent burning your ears?

goodonya
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: A vent .. alternative   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptyFri May 02, 2008 11:45 am

Biggest problem I see with Vent is that it is always open and you will be subject to any "drivel" not related to the group run your doing. Maybe we could look at an alternative.

For instance having to work with people all over the world I use "Skype" as a free communications tool ... while anyone on skype would need to get the contacts to the others I feel that this could work, would just require an "alt tab" before an instance or raid run & set up the communications link - I don't know how this operates as far as bandwith goes compared to Vent.

Big bonus for this is that I don't have to host the server for it! which I would have to find a way of doing with Vent.
Back to top Go down
https://northerndragons.rpg-board.net
niceclaws

niceclaws

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: VENT / VOICE CHAT   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptySun May 04, 2008 1:35 pm

i have skype at the moment. Can more than two people be connected up?

So far Ive only used it like a phone - 2 sides of the conversation. Can we have 10 people linked up for a raid?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Skype - Group Calls   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptyMon May 05, 2008 5:20 am

Yes Skype can be used for "multi-way" discussions. You can set up confernece calls on Skype - at the most I have used them for work for 5 people BUT they can have a call of up to 24 people.

Just thingking that using this means everyone won't be dependant on my computer being running ALL the time for a vent server (not to mention mybandwidth lol), we can always try & if it doesnt work I can set up vent.
Back to top Go down
https://northerndragons.rpg-board.net
niceclaws

niceclaws

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: VENT / VOICE CHAT   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptyTue May 06, 2008 12:14 pm

cool

that sounds like a good option

so what is the next step?

getting attuned/geared for heroics

setting a raid night - but running 5 mans / heroics instead

i suspect that we are a ways off anything like kara and there is probably no point setting foot in there for a while.
Back to top Go down
Jodrath

Jodrath

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Next Step...   VENT / VOICE CHAT EmptyWed May 07, 2008 7:14 am

Yep Next step is getting geared.... and attuned.

At the moment I'm attuned for Kara & all old world Raids barring Naxx. Once I start heroics I should be attuned for SV and BT soon enough (shudders at thought of heroic slabs).

But yes we need 2 settle on a regular raiding night and start heroics. We have 2 tanks now, 2 healers and plenty of upcoming dps .. but we all need gear!

I know for healing in Kara I will need +1400 healing bonus, im just under 1000 now - maybe with another epic or 2 and the best heal enchants Ill be ready Smile

Need 2 get started though, I know Dedleg is looking forward to Heroics, and Darkenblade more then willing 2 be dragged along .... and Bazba would but he is currently unavailable due to techo problems.

Anyways .. soon, very soon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: VENT / VOICE CHAT   VENT / VOICE CHAT Empty

Back to top Go down

VENT / VOICE CHAT
Page 1 of 1